NO FIWOTTS ALLOWED!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

An anecdote

So I went to my favorite comic shop, Rocketship, yesterday. I was perusing the racks and talking with the fair owners thereof and some foreign person. One of them, I'll call him Mr. C., he was going around recommending books for me to try that I hadn't tried yet. We discussed the fact that Fantastic Four/Iron Man: Big in Japan is frickin AMAZING and not enough people are talking about it. Really, folks, it's GREAT FF stuff, with weird monsters, unbelievably good art, fun moments, everything you could want.

So we keep moving along the shelves and we get to X-Factor. I'm all ready to start making fun of it. Mr. C. points at it and I work up a chuckle.

"This is really good," says he.

"What? Seriously?" I reply.

"Yeah. Actually, yeah." He points out the beautiful Ryan Sook art, can't go wrong there. But, really, the last time I was genuinely entertained by a Peter David book was, hm, X-Factor. There's talk of playing with conventions, that David's annoying habits are reigned in to the betterment of the story, and, yeah, there's that beautiful art. And I've got a soft spot for noir detectives and, uh, Jaime Madrox.

So I give it a try.

And he was right, it was good. A good PAD comic featuring mutants post-Decimation. I can recommend it without reservation, and it makes me feel funny. It's not FF/Iron Man good, but it's good.

Amazing Joy Buzzards continues to thrill and entertain with a slew of guest artists, some that work better than others, but even the least among them gets the job done. You just can't help but love these characters.

Finally got the first two issues of DMZ and Local, and, uh, local boy Brian Wood done good.

Anyway, just basically wanted to talk up FF/Iron Man the amount it deserves and man up and actually admit I enjoyed a PAD book. What a world.

EDIT: I just remembered a PAD-ism that bothered me about this book. He worked in Bill Mumy AND Harlan Ellison into the VERY FIRST ISSUE of his new book. It's like a first year film student that uses all his high school buddies' names in his screenplay. Amateurish and silly.

The rest was good, though.

11 Love Letters:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked X-Factor a lot. I've always been a sucker for gumshoe detective stories and David is a great writer.

Rich

12:36 PM

 
Blogger obsolete said...

X-Factor was not as terrible as I anticipated. I still wouldn't buy it if it weren't for my wife, though. Still too PADdy for me. Mark my words, your infatuation with this comic will not last.

I hate to be a doomsayer, but great art is not enough to hide a kitschy writer's kitsch. I was Right about Superman/Shazam, and I'm Right about this, too. In time you will understand.

2:58 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

I can put up with some PADdyness for Sook. Just like I can definitely put up with Winnick Lite for that art. I used to only care about the writing in a book, but I find that's changing over time. I can't read a book with bad art (Mr. Miracle) even if a good writer writes it, but I can read an average book with great art.

3:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rocketship? Isn't that store only for snobs?

Glad to hear somebody else didn't like the fugly art in Mister Miracle.

5:11 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Mr. Miracle #1: beauty.

Mr. Miracle #2: I wanted to throw it away.

5:18 PM

 
Blogger obsolete said...

Oh, hey, DMZ and Local...I wasn't totally sold by both #1's...how would you stack up the second issues against the first ones?

5:50 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

I read them all in one sitting, so I couldn't really tell you. Kind of oozed together.

5:53 PM

 
Blogger obsolete said...

K THX NP

5:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought DMZ #2 was marginally better than #1. Maybe a little more cohesive. I still don't understand why the only people who survived the war in Manhattan were hipsters. Seems to me they'd be the least able to survive.

I didn't even like the art in Mister Miracle #1.

6:26 PM

 
Blogger Brian Cronin said...

I am torn on the insanely lame Mumy and Ellison references.

Basically, I do not know whether I admire the sheer GALL of a writer to do not ONE lame refernce to a friend, but TWO - and BACK TO BACK!

Such gall is almost impressive to me.

Almost.

9:59 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Being proud of your celebrity friends is lame.

Being proud of your "celebrity" friends is lamer.

How did this turn so negative? I really liked the book, honestly, and not just because of the art, though it helped quite a great deal. I hope PAD can keep himself reigned in, even more so. I read there's a fill in artist on the way already, so I'm not sure how well that bodes.

If he does a molestation story with Molly from Runaways, all bets are off, though.

8:02 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home