NO FIWOTTS ALLOWED!

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Almost as Good

While ALL STAR SUPERMAN pretty well takes up our whole hearts, there were some other damn fine comics his week.

FANTATIC FOUR/IRON MAN: BIG IN JAPAN #2 was about as good an FF book as there is right now, for my money. Giant monsters and over-the-top superhero action, drawn by one of the most under-rated artists out there. Anytime a kaiju mistakes Iron man for Ultraman, and then makes him a giant sandwich, that's okay by me. I dunno where this Zeb Wells guy came from, but I've really enjoyed everything that I've read by him. His take on the New Warriors was really funny, and this book is just great. Of course, Seth Fisher doesn't hurt things. When the Thing starts to control an antique Giant Robot, it's hard not to smile, and Reed Richards using the trachea of a sea monster to call out in the "Ancient Toungue" is classic. And for those who judge a book by how hot the women are drawn, Fisher's pouty-lipped Sue Storm is pretty darned cute. This is my favorite FF book since Simonson. That's saying something.

The story of "Clyde Fans" continues in PALOOKAVILLE 18, and the plot, as they say, thickens. This will no doubt read betterin one long book, as opposed to annual installments, but I personally think that Seth gets better with age, and it's nice to see the story get more involving with each issue. Almost worth picking up just for the design- these comics are turning into little deco art objects or something...

RUNAWAYS continues to be a really satisfying read, and CRAVAN was a lot of fun. Any week with a Rick Geary book is a good week.

Man, what a fun trip to the comic shop. It's week like this where being a comic fan makes me all giddy and happy.

I'm sure I'll be back to staring into the Void next week, though....

Uh oh! What's this I see?

SEP051682D AMAZING JOY BUZZARDS VOL 2 #2
AUG050264D EX MACHINA #16
SEP050260D SEVEN SOLDIERS FRANKENSTEIN #1 (OF 4)
AUG050234D SEVEN SOLDIERS ZATANNA #4 (OF 4)

Yay next week! Life is okay for another seven days or so!

-a

29 Love Letters:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Seth is okay but really I think his comics would be improved if Greg Land drew all the women.

1:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Yeah Seth is okay but really I think his comics would be improved if Greg Land drew all the women."

I agree!

The Shadow

2:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why aren't we fighting right now?

6:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel said "Why aren't we fighting right now?"

Because it's sometimes fun to DISCUSS comics without being insulting!

The Shadow

12:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Agreeing with a sarcastic joke is FUN!


-a

10:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The prospect of two new issues of Seven Soldiers on the same day almost makes me glad Zatanna has run so ridiculously late.

5:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Shadow likes the quotes: "Because it's sometimes fun to DISCUSS comics without being insulting!"

Oh, I get it. You're too chicken to fight me. Well, when you're ready to stop whining anonymously and put up your dukes, maybe I'll let you show your face around here again.

I can't wait to fight you.

-Daniel Apodaca

8:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel likes to prove he's an internet tough guy with original tough guy comments like: "Oh, I get it. You're too chicken to fight me. Well, when you're ready to stop whining anonymously and put up your dukes, maybe I'll let you show your face around here again.

I can't wait to fight you."

LMAO

Wanting to FIGHT me on the internet? Seriously Dannyboy... time to move on!

How do you internet fight anyway? Do we insult each other's mom's? Do you make fun of Greg Land?

You've got me curious now.

The Shadow

9:16 AM

 
Blogger Alex! said...

He probably points out how you are totally not getting any jokes, and the reminds everyone that you are a total fucking idiot with horrible taste.

Maybe then he says that you are an internerd troll with a life so empty that you hang out at a blog where you disagree with everything we say looking for some weird gratification.

I dunno-it might go like that.

-a

9:25 AM

 
Blogger obsolete said...

"you are totally not getting any jokes"

But he was right on about us being sexually aroused by a comic book. That part was no joke.

9:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A few words to the Shadow.

Telling someone to move on, when you're trolling a blog after finding out that they made fun of you? That's called hypocrisy. And assholery. And also, dumb motherfuckerness.

Also, why are you so scared to fight me? I think it's because you know you will lose. You are the most cowardly person I have ever seen. You won't fight me and you won't even reveal your name. That is because you are a dumb pussy chump. Or a FIWOTT, as they're officially called.

P.S. I think you misunderstand me. I don't want to "internet fight" you. I want to engage in actual fisticuffs. My punch to your gut. Come on, chicken, let's fight.

10:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel said "Telling someone to move on, when you're trolling a blog after finding out that they made fun of you? That's called hypocrisy. And assholery. And also, dumb motherfuckerness."

Hey... all I wanted to do was defend my position on not liking the Gene Ha Sue Man-Woman picture.

You guys seem to be a funny bunch so I thought I'd comment some more. I'm sorry I have differing opinions than you do, but I can usually back em up.

Daniel said "Also, why are you so scared to fight me?"

I'm not.

Daniel said "You are the most cowardly person I have ever seen."

How's that when you have never seen me?

Daniel said "You won't fight me and you won't even reveal your name."

What difference does it make?

Daniel said "Or a FIWOTT, as they're officially called."

And that's why I know I'd kick your ass... you know all the lame acronyms for geek-speak. Likely because you are slowly on your way to becoming the comic book guy on the Simpsons (ie getting fat, not bathing, losing your hair and living in your parents basement).

Anytime you wanna head to Regina Saskatchewan you let me know.

Where do you live?

The Shadow

12:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OH MY GOD YOU ARE SO RETARDED!

"Hey...all I wanted to do was defend my shitty viewpoint...blah blah blah I am the Shadow..." Well, that's bullshit, my friend, every motherfucker says that and it's never true. And by the way, I'M a geek, and I don't even get half your references to what makes a person a geek, here you are fucking merrily posting away, FREQUENTLY, to a comics blog on the internet about shit like how Greg Land draws hot women...hey, nerd-boy, tell me something...WHO THE FUCK IS GREG LAND? And what's this dwarf warning all about? And who the fuck do you think you're kidding with this shit?

You know, I might even have some sympathy for you if you weren't always lamely trying to counterpunch with the "you all need girlfriends" thing. That one's not scoring, buddy; get one yourself, all right? And for the record, EVERYONE KNOWS about what the Comic Book Guy on the Simpsons is like, you are OVEREXPLAINING EVERYTHING, just fucking stop that shit right now!!!

Irritating!

Beat him up for me, Dan!

3:23 AM

 
Blogger Alex! said...

Shadow said " I'm sorry I have differing opinions than you do, but I can usually back em up."

Bullshit! You have yet to back up a single thing you've said! You're a troll and a fucking fanboy nerd.

You didn't think ALL STAR SUPERMAN was all that good? Critique it like a man, motherfucker! Show us your writin' chops, you little ball-licker!

7:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My review of All Star Superman #1

All-Star Superman is one of the most over-praised comic book in recent memory. I didn't hate but it was only... okay.

I'm basing my opinions on having a collection of over 20,000 books and as someone who started reading Superman in 1983... so I have over 22 years of reading along with a substancial collection of Superman comics... including Action Comics 21 (my lowest) to the most recent issue, #833.

There were other Superman stories this year that were better and it doesn't go near the best of the Superman stories like Byrne's reboot or Moor's What Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

Maybe my expectations were too high (as in not reachable) but it seemed.... pedestrian. A lot happened but when it was over it felt like nothing did and I was hard pressed to remember SOMETHING that blew me away... or even made me say "wow that was awesome..." or ANYTHING. It felt like a bottle of beer that is half empty... when you want a full one.

I also go the "been there, done that" feel when I was reading it. From Superman revealing his identity to Lois to squaring off against Lex Luthor... Been there. Morrison is working with an icon and can't stray TOO far from what makes Superman super... but it just didn't awe or wow me like I was expecting.

The art wasn't too shabby... in fact I think it's Quitley's best work. But now I'm wondering about him keeping a regular schedule... and I don't think he can do it.

I find Morrison is best when he's working on something TOTALLY different and original (WE3) or something so unusual he makes it his own (Doom Patrol).

The Shadow

4:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're an idiot.

10:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow, you have to try harder than that. That isn't criticism, that's just an expression of taste. What was superior, in your view, about Byrne's reboot? What does Whatever Happened...? have that ASS lacks, and why did you think that it was good in the first place? What made ASS pedestrian, what did you think Morrison and Quitely were trying to do, and did you think it was a) a good idea, but misguided execution, or b) a bad idea in the first place? Since all Superman stories trade on some basic Supes-isms, successful or not, what made this invocation of the standard Superman tropes unsuccessful in your view, and why? And above all, why were your expectations so high? What was it you were hoping to see, but didn't?

Here's an example of what I mean (although I don't agree with any of it myself, it's just an example):

"I had great hopes for All Star Superman, and maybe that's my problem. As anyone who's read We3 knows, Morrison and Quitely's work has been quite dazzling of late, combining both audacity of vision and mastery of craft in a way that effortlessly reinvigorates hoary old ideas without ever simply plunging them into an ahistorical weirdness they don't belong to. But maybe it's something about Superman...somehow Morrison's ambition seems out of place here, as if the stodgy old world of Big Blue Superman can't adapt well to his rapid-fire barrage of newness. In all of Morrison's work there's a "keep-up-if-you-can" mentality at play, radical new ways of construing superhero motifs constantly being flung at the reader as if they were already perfectly normal, already part of the understood vocabulary of four-color cape-and-tights action...and though this works very well in a group book like JLA or Doom Patrol, a "guest-starring" book where no established character stands alone to receive the full brunt of the plot's implications, when it's kid-friendly old Superman at stake Morrison's aggressive newness seems pointlessly glued-on, and all its changes false. Is this really Superman at all, if all this stuff is true? For all that Morrison is a more exciting scenarist than Byrne, Byrne's tired old back-to-basics strategy fit Superman's character better, and his gee-whiz was more successful precisely because it was non-threatening. At its heart, the Byrne reboot was more purely conventional and conservative than anything that had happened to Superman in twenty years, and therefore it was also comforting: Byrne's Superman lived in a world where nothing particularly radical occurred, only adorned with little touches that empathized Clark Kent the loser's struggle with his double identity. In essence this was Lee/Romita Spider-Man only in different clothes, and so it was deliciously familiar, addictive in a soap-opera sense, even engaging sometimes...that it brightened Superman up for a new generation, successfully "Marvel-ized" him as some would say, is hard to deny, and the gradual rediscovery of all the classic villains, devices, etc., only "updated for the 80s!" may have robbed them of some of their childlike, anarchic zing, but it also made them more logical and plot-friendly than they had been before, rendering the superheroic episodes convenient punctuation for Clark Kent's ongoing struggle to find himself. The super-action wasn't eliminated, but its importance to the plot was dialled down; the real story became what was going on in Clark Kent's mind, that the action only called attention to. And so a new balance was struck, but in All Star Superman Morrison takes it away, and doesn't replace it with anything: his "keep-up-if-you-can" Superman allows little time for the liking of the real man behind the "S" symbol, and so we are never really sure who his Superman is, deep down. Superman ceases to be familiar, and so we lose him. As much as the eight-word origin recap has been lauded for its economy, it is ultimately a false economy, because it skips over all that is really important about Superman - his human side. Without that, his confrontations with Luthor (for example) can have no depth at all, no effect: there's a reason writers since Moore haven't been content to just go along with the whiz-bang dust-'em-ups of pre-Crisis Superman orthodoxy, Superman vs. Whoever, and that's because (as Byrne saw, whatever his faults) beneath all the flash that stuff is boring. Boring and arbitrary. Modern readers don't want that. They want Byrne's Clark Kent, like an Elliot Maggin Clark Kent only on all the time, a Clark who puts on a red-and-blue costume occasionally, but who's still Clark Kent underneath it. Or should that be "Peter Parker?" Whatever, you can't buck progress, not even if you're Morrison and Quitely. The old Superman is dead, and you can't bring him back to life by just throwing a lot of patented Morrisonisms into his world. The standard old action stuff simply becomes deeply unnerving and distancing in Morrison and Quitely's hands, while the comfort of seeing it all through the eyes of a character you can relate to is done away with, too. And then what's left?"

Blah blah blah, God I can't bring myself to write anymore of that pussy garbage! But at least it's a point of view, albeit a distinctly UNMANLY one.

(I hate myself now.)

Now go do one of your own, Shadow, so that I can savagely rip it apart!

11:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. I bring up your anonymity because you tried to attack someone else for the same thing. That's bullshit.

And because I'm using my full legal name, so it makes it apparent how trollish you are.

2. Go get your lunchbox, cock-goblin, 'cause I'm about to take you to school.

These geek-on-geek insults aren't flying. It's getting painfully (and by painfully, I mean satisfyingly) obvious that you're talking about yourself.

That geek-speak you think validates you so? It's a term that was made up HERE. It's at the top of the fucking page. Oh, and those two guys up there? That's Alex and Joe. They don't look fat or bald to me. But maybe Canadian computers transform hair to fat. Or maybe you should pay some goddamn attention and stop embarassing yourself.

As for what you think of me, you're just plain fucking retarded. Feel free to check out the picture in my CBR profile. I think it's clear that I'm neither fat nor balding.

Oh, and I live in Los Angeles.

See, here's how I know I'd kick your ass, you infected twat.

You're too fucking scared to tell us your name, you're making completely incorrect inferences about our appearances that indicate your own problems, and you are so fucking oblivious. I could kick you in the nads and you'd wonder why your dick hurts.

To tell you the truth, this fight thing started out as a joke. But since you didn't get it and thought you were king genius for comparing people to the obvious stereotype, I'm ready to do it.

I just want you to know, I really would say all this shit to your face. I'm tempted to post my phone number so you can call and get yelled at.

So, chickenshit. Are you gonna bother to show your name and face like I have, or are you gonna keep lobbing oral diarrhea from your pseudonym-fort?

1:20 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did The Shadow really just use Byrne's Man of Steel as an example of "the best of Superman stories"? Because I want to be sure that wasn't just a dream I had.

4:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, that's nuts, Scott. Crazy motherfuckin' moosehockey, is what I call it. And hey, that reminds me, lay off the Canadian shit Apodaca! I support you otherwise 110%, brothah...but let's let that Shadow guy PUT UP OR SHUT UP, and leave citizenship out of it! Good God, I didn't offer to support a consequence-free arena of geek-blood-death in a place that looks very much like THE GARBAGE DUMP AT WHISTLER B.C., CLEARED FOR MASSIVE COMIC-GEEK RUMBLE ACTION FOR JANUARY 29TH OF 2010 to just see this debate degenerate into a lot of pussy-ass name-calling. Let's let Shadow have ONE MORE TRY at showing he's not a dick-for-brains. Shadow, you motherfucker...get your goddam shit together and make a statement, or I'm going to come to your house and hold your arms while Dan gutpunches you!

Signed,


Manitoba Motherfucker



P.S. Someone please critique my invented John Byrne-loving weak counterpunch masquerade and show why it's wrong! It offends me to see it printed here!

5:57 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel said "And because I'm using my full legal name, so it makes it apparent how trollish you are."

I don't know you, don't care to know you and don't want to tell you my real name. But since you're a cock hungry motherfucker it's Richard. Now shut the fuck up.

"Feel free to check out the picture in my CBR profile."

What? The little avatar sized blurry pic? LOL.

And your occupation is RAPPER? Now you've lost ALL fucking respect and credibility (I'm guessing you won't care) from me Vanilla Jr. In fact IF I decide to EVER reply to you again I'll be sure to call you that.

LOL. A white rapper. Go the fuck home bitch.

"I could kick you in the nads and you'd wonder why your dick hurts."

Listen Vanilla, the only thing a 20 year old punk rapper could do to my nads is lick em. And like it.

"To tell you the truth, this fight thing started out as a joke."

As I said Vanilla there is a virus called a Magic Missle that is an email attachment and when you said you were going to attack me with it I thought you were serious.

I'll be the adult here Vanilla... I'm sorry I took it out of context but as I said I don't know you guys and it's hard to get tone, inflection and humour on posts like this.

"I just want you to know, I really would say all this shit to your face."

No... you'd pussy out like every other tough guy I've encountered. Like I said above it's hard to get tone etc., but if you ARE serious I gotta laugh.

"I'm tempted to post my phone number so you can call and get yelled at."

Grow up Vanilla. Go rap some more.
"Ice ice baby..."

Richard

9:31 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said "That isn't criticism, that's just an expression of taste."

But that's what criticism IS. It's an opinion. It's based on someones tastes. What I think is the best movie of ALL TIME may totally differ from you. (Casablanca BTW).

The below are all fantastic questions. I will answer a few of them but I'll be honest, I haven't read Byrne's Superman or Moore's in YEARS. I moved from Ontario (near Toronto) to Saskatchewan and left 19,000 comics in storage back home. That was 3 and a half years ago. I have built up another 14-1500 comics in the meantime but the majority are new.

"What was superior, in your view, about Byrne's reboot?"
Well for starters Byrne's origin

"What made ASS pedestrian, what did you think Morrison and Quitely were trying to do"

I don't KNOW what they were trying to do other than give Superman the "BIG SCREEN" feeling of the first movie, but all that did was make it a shorter read and a forgetful premise. Because all of it had the "been there, done that" feel nothing felt original, and this is Grant of Doom Patrol and WE3 fame!

"did you think it was a) a good idea, but misguided execution"

I thought thepotential was there for it to be GREAT, but with all great fiction you have to CARE for the star or the book (comic, novel or whatever) and though Superman was diagnosed with radiation poisoning I didn't care. That Luthor was "serious" now about killing Superman didn't seem to threatening because we only have his word that he's tried before Granted it IS only 1 issue in, I think they should have had flashbacks inserted to fill in somne back story... so in that regard I feel the execution was off slightly. We were thrown in the middle of a story with no idea HOW we got to that pooint or why. I think a story like that can be done, and quite well, but it should have been done AFTER we got to know the characters first.

"b) a bad idea in the first place?"

It wasn't that it was a bad idea, but read above... the execution was off by starting us in the middle.

"why were your expectations so high?"

Why were they high? Did you read Doom Patrol? WE3? X-Men? Grant is the master of taking characters (new and old) and completely turning them on their heads! What he did in Doom Patrol was awesome, original and pretty much ruined the characters for ANYONE else to do because they will A) always get cpmpared to Morrison's version and B) he does stuff that is so original that many people (outside of Alan Moore) seem uncapable of. I say that because if it WERE possible more writers would be as good as Grant and Alan.

Morrison CHANGES things (even if it's temporary). He changed the freakin X-Men! Cyclops, Emma, Beast, Iceman all had significant changes to their character under his pen and I was looking for the same originality, this time... but didn't get it. INstead I got a story Chuck Austen could have written.

"What was it you were hoping to see, but didn't?"

Originality. This is a chance to do RADICAL and off the wall things with Superman (while still maintaing the CORE of the character) without offending the purists. Instead we got Superman bating a bad guy, revealing his identity to Lois, Lex threatening to beat Superman... all done before. Morrison's Doom Patrol (using 40 year old characters) was a TOTAL change from the original concept. Really the only simplarities were the names and the BASIC core of the character. The stories were fantastic and (again) ORIGINAL.

Rich

9:56 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is almost acceptable, but your dickly response to Dan makes me mad. You've been nothing but aggressive since you got here, and it's getting real tired.

But having said that, a couple of things: one, criticism is NOT just opinion, even though it is based on subjective taste. You've done it yourself. Opinion is "meh, it sucked", criticism is "I didn't feel close to the character because the story didn't have enough flashbacks." Similarly, the statement "with all great fiction, you have to CARE for the star" is an empty platitude unworthy of consideration, but "I didn't care" is a starting point for real analysis. Boy, you really have some nerve getting so up with Dan when you haven't done a goddam thing around here but sling the mud. I'd be interested to know what you find so compelling about Byrne's Superman origin as opposed to Morrison's, likewise I'd be interested to know what original or RADICAL things you thought he might have done but didn't. The point about how Morrison makes an indelible impression on characters that previously could have been written by anybody is well-taken, but it leads only to more questions, I'm afraid: did you really expect him to put his indelible stamp on Superman, of all properties? Do you think that's even possible? Do you perhaps feel Moore somehow succeeded in this when Morrison didn't? Why? And more importantly, why did you act like such a cunt two comments past, do you have no sense of propriety? Is there some reason you can't recognize jokes when you see them? I don't blame Dan for getting pissed with you...but you seem to say that the idea was good, with the potential to be great, so in your mind what WAS the idea? What WAS the potential of it? If you would answer the two remaining questions above, and elaborate on the answers you've already given, I think we could get close to a view that I could agree or disagree with here. But first you clearly owe Dan an apology, that was highly inappropriate, and considering your earlier inflammatory comments I think it would be difficult for you to hide behind the "he was being mean to me" excuse. This is a very mellow posting spot, really, so take advantage of that and make it clear you regret your hasty words, before post on post hammers you for being such a troublemaker and it becomes impossible to take it back.

Eagerly await your response!

11:06 AM

 
Blogger obsolete said...

Dear racist fuck,

When Dan put that down for occupation, he was being tongue-in-cheek. You know, like every other single god damn thing we've said that you've misunderstood?

But since we're at it, he happens to actually be a fantastic fucking rapper. I know, I know. He's white! How can he possibly be able to rap with that skin color? But it's true, you bigoted piece of shit. If you ever stepped outside your nerdself you'd know it was possible. You might even be able to pen a rhyme or two yourself.

And since you like to throw this 'girl' thing around like you know what you're talking about...just so you know...I'm married, Joe is engaged, and Alex has a steady girl he's posted pictures of in his other blog. And Madman Dan gets nasiter, more regular tail than George fucking "Iceberg Slim" Gervin, former ABA shooting guard for the Virginia Squires and NBA Hall of Famer, did in his heyday.

Additionally, you're a horrible critic. Criticism is analysis and evaluation, and it ought to be as objective as possible. The more opinion it has, the less valid it becomes. You lout.

I don't even know how to respond to this:

"We were thrown in the middle of a story with no idea HOW we got to that pooint or why. I think a story like that can be done, and quite well, but it should have been done AFTER we got to know the characters first."

Admit it, you're a huge ninny, aren't you? Wah wah wah, I don't know how we got to this point! Are you serious with that? Quintum asked for help. Superman came. There you go, Steinberg.

Yes, the book presumes a little. If you have no idea who or what Superman is, it asks you to read between the lines. Hmmm, let's see. He's a guy with abilities far beyond those of mortal men. He's apparently a nice guy who likes to save people. And, oh, look at that, he disguises himself as mild-mannered reporter for the Daily Planet, Clark Kent. What the hell else do you need to know? What he had for breakfast that morning?

You boob. You philistine. You oaf. You degenerate.

Morrison didn't "change" the X-Men, you twit, you blockhead. (Especially not Iceman, who didn't even cameo, as I recall.) Ooh, Beast looks a little different, Emma has diamond skin. Big changes. You twerp, you imbecile. He presented them completely in character, as they have been, and he even utilized previous writers' inane plot points (En Sabbah Nur). He broke up Scott and Jean, but that's perfectly natural. A "change" that should have been made over ten years ago.

No, what he did to the X-Men is, unsurprisingly, exactly what he's done here, with Superman. He's boiled the character down to exactly what's important and presented that as the starting point. Did I say "starting point?" Yes, starting point. Now Superman and Quintum are going to lead us to the future.

"I'm trying to escape from a doomed world, too, Superman. It's called the past. ... We're building outposts of tomorrow right here, in the now."

Which you'll note, you churl, you ogre, you birdbrain, encapsulates many of the themes of Grant's previous work just as well as they do.

And I love this bit of yours, too, you schnook:

"Morrison's Doom Patrol was a TOTAL change from the original concept. Really the only simplarities were ... and the BASIC core(s) of the character(s)."

So it was a TOTAL change, but it kept the basic core? You chump, you halfwit. You don't even know what you're saying anymore. You're drunk. Go home, you souse. You dipsomaniac. You lush. Take a cab, please.

Doom Patrol is the same goddamn thing we're talking about. These are corporate properties, but what he does is, he pares them down to what's important. He distills them, see? The basic concept. Do you not understand? Have you had too much booze, you wino?

It's not just change, it's development, it's evolution. The Doom Patrol, they're the avant garde, the prototypes. The Invisibles are the instigators, the agitators. The X-Men, they're the peaceful arm of the movement. Animal Man is just a regular guy who thought he was on the sidelines, surprised to find out that nobody is on the sidelines.

And Superman, he's the Christ figure. He doesn't need to change. He's here to help the rest of us change. He's Barbelith.

I can't believe I need to explain this to you, you dullard.

1:00 PM

 
Blogger obsolete said...

"This is a very mellow posting spot, really, so take advantage of that and make it clear you regret your hasty words, before post on post hammers you for being such a troublemaker and it becomes impossible to take it back."

Mellow?

...

Wait, who?

What blog is this, again?

We are high-strung. We are mood-destroyers. We are dissident, malcontent, carousing, rabble-rousing, instigating, schism-creating, diehard, retard, blowhard, trigger-happy insurrectionists, and we do not fuck around.

Shadow, you and the rest of your FIWOTTs are on notice. Get with the program or get clear.

1:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said "You've been nothing but aggressive since you got here, and it's getting real tired."

Not at all! In fact when I first came here it was in regards to the Gene Ha Sue "man-woman" Richards pic. All I wanted to do was set the record straight on why I didn't like it.

It was then someone started insulting ME because I think Greg Land draws better women than Ha. That's when I got defensive and started to sling the insults back.

"criticism is NOT just opinion, even though it is based on subjective taste."

This I disagree with. Because the next sentence you say: "but "I didn't care" is a starting point for real analysis."... but by including the "I" in there it becomes my OPINION.

"I'd be interested to know what you find so compelling about Byrne's Superman origin as opposed to Morrison's"

As I said... my books are 3000 miles away so I can't read them for a refresh. What I do remember is Byrne fleshed it out a lot whereas Morrison just had 2 simple pages of flashbacks. Again, in my CRITICAL opinion the fuller version of the Byrne origin was more satisfying than Morrison's. Byrne also changed the dynamic of Krypton to show a huge contrast between how Superman WOULD have been raised in the cold emotionless world of Krypton and contrasted it with the loving tender care of the Kents.

" likewise I'd be interested to know what original or RADICAL things you thought he might have done but didn't."

I don't know... I am not Morrison, nor am I a comic book writer. I wouldn't have the knowledge to speculate... and if I did I'd be a writer. Unfair question.

"did you really expect him to put his indelible stamp on Superman, of all properties?"

Frank Miller did it with Batman several times now... why not Morrison who I think is a more imaginitive writer?

"Do you think that's even possible?"

As I said above, Miller did it with Batman. Hell, Adam West fundamentally changed Batman from the sci-fi 1950's to the campy guy. If Adam West can change Batman... I think it's QUITE possible for someone of Morrison's talent to change Superman.

"Do you perhaps feel Moore somehow succeeded in this when Morrison didn't?"

Here's another "been there done that moment... (I'm going on memory here because I haven't read it in YEARS now) but Moore already did a Superman tale where he's dying or diagnosed to die.

"And more importantly, why did you act like such a cunt two comments past, do you have no sense of propriety?"

Because of Daniel's post from 120 AM where he acted like a cunt over a misunderstanding.

"But first you clearly owe Dan an apology, that was highly inappropriate, and considering your earlier inflammatory comments"

BEFORE that post please quite me anywhere that I called him or anyone else an "infected twat", or a "cock-goblin"?

I got defensive when a group of people started attacking my opinions and name calling. I'm new here... don't know you guys or the jokes or the humour... it's hard to get a joke reading it on screen just like it's hard to get inflection and tone.

In actuallity I did regret posting them... but also feel somewhat justified.

"This is a very mellow posting spot"

... did you read what Alex said? Where are you demanding an apology from him to me?

I'm sure Daniel is a big enough boy to defend himself... Alex didn't need to get involed at all.

I do appreciate ytour comments... you seem to have a level heard and enjoy discussing comics.

Richard

2:15 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To Daniel,

I would like to apologize for anything that may have offended you. I felt personally attacked and did not feel it justified.

I do not think you are 100% blame free here, but in the interests of moving on I just want to come here, talk, post and have a good time.

Lets just move on. People can have differing opinions and still be civil.

Richard

2:19 PM

 
Blogger obsolete said...

Borrrrr-ring!

2:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Paul. My deep, charred, forgotten cockles suddenly have a spark of loving warmth in them.

Look, Richard. Here's the deal.

1. I didn't write that magic missile business. And if you go back and check it, you'll see that the person who did apologized for the misunderstanding. That's a no-go.

2. You may not have called me an infected twat or a cock-goblin, but that's just for lack of creativity. You insulted my appearance, personal hygiene, social ability, and relationships with women. And you did it to three of my friends. Don't play the victim.

3. Let's be realistic. This is the history of what happened. Joe made fun of you. You showed up to defend yourself. Then you stuck around where nobody was agreeing with you. They told you to go away. You insulted them.

What did you expect to happen, man? When you bag on someone, you know their friends are gonna show up behind them.

4. I really just don't get why you keep coming back. You're obviously unliked by the majority of people here. So why bother to return time and time again? Are you a masochist? I mean, do you really care that much that some people out there don't like you? Let it go. Move on to where you're wanted.

One thing, though. First you talk about how you stuck around 'cause you liked the humor here. But, then you say that you have trouble understanding when we're joking. I think I know which one is the truth.

Plain and simple, I don't want to move on. I want you to go away. I can't make you, but I can make it clear that I'm not alone. And it seems to me that if nobody were to ever talk to you again, you might get that point.

As far as I'm concerned, you don't exist anymore.

*No offense was ever intended to Canada and I love them despite this unfortunate blot on their record.

5:14 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home