NO FIWOTTS ALLOWED!

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Memories are made of this

Ever had a random memory pop into your head? I had one earlier today and I have no idea why. But it's a memory from high school, probably around sophomore year. It was to be a grand project I was working on. I was writing up notes, drawing character sketches, and had no idea for a plot.

See, I was going to update Peanuts. Age them to high school years. Charlie Brown was a punk, anti-establishment. Shroeder was experimenting with drugs and playing guitar. Lucy was a rich slut bitch. Linus was the only popular kid that would still talk to "Chuck." Pigpen had cleaned up and gone preppy. It was to be a biting satire of high school class structure, a real invective. I thought it was awesome.

Of course, at the time I was a adolescent loser mad at the world for the perceived injustice of Kristi Thomas not wanting to go out with me and the outrage of my lack of blowjobs. When you're at that point, taking children's characters and making "commentary" about how shitty life is seems like a great idea.

If only I could relate this anecdote to corporate comics these days, but I can't quite see the connection.

12 Love Letters:

Blogger T. said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:15 PM

 
Blogger T. said...

I get your point, but one of the ironies is that although Peanuts started becoming warm and fuzzy by the 70s, it actually started out pretty bitter and cynical itself, although very sharp, insightful and well-done. It was a biting satire of class structure. You would have been taking it to it's roots actually, not subverting it.

johnnytriangles.blogspot.com

7:16 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

The early stuff is some of my favorite comics of all time. But darker side of Peanuts was smart, not bitter. It was insightful, not petty. It was adult, not adolescent.

7:21 PM

 
Blogger T. said...

I think the key was that it was cynical, yet somehow managed to not be bitter and could laugh at itself. Today's comics take themselves way too seriously, and can't laugh at themselves at all. Which is why the Adam West "Bat-usi" cover from Allred's Solo was nixed.

7:29 PM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

No, that was legal's call.

7:32 PM

 
Blogger Ed said...

Take one fresh and tender strip
Add a healthy dose of hip.
One dog, one boy
an adolescent ploy
Memories are made of this.

7:52 AM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Dammit, Ed. Go ahead and write a clever song parody that is completely on topic. There's nothing I can do to show that shit up.

9:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Joe, I think Metzler is taking your idea and making it into new mini-series.

Mr.M

9:33 AM

 
Blogger Sophie Yanow said...

I recall seeing a strip where the Peanuts characters were used like members of the Smashing Pumpkins. Charlie Brown was, of course, Billy Corgan, and pigpen was the unclean drummer, etc etc.

It was actually forkin' hilarious.

11:44 AM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

The difference there being that High School Joe took my "reimagining" very seriously. That's the dumb part. Making children's characters a reflection of adolescent angst and taking that seriously.

3:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

High School Joe vs. Teacher Joe of Earth 2! WHO WILL WIN?

6:26 AM

 
Blogger Mr. Rice said...

Teacher Joe is much, much, much meaner.

8:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home