NO FIWOTTS ALLOWED!

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

I Do Not Understand....

... AGE OF APOCOLYPSE. I don't get the plot, the point, or the appeal.

... what happened to Warren Ellis. There was a time when I thought everything he wrote was made of Golden Apples. Then something happened. I dunno what. Maybe he got bored. All I know is that the third PLANETARY trade came out today and my heart did not flutter at all like it used to. I remember a time when PLANETARY and the AUTHORITY and TRANSMETROPOLITAN were home runs every time they hit the shelves. Colossal achievements, every issue. Now we have ULTIMATE FF. It's a sad state.

... why fanboy nerds keep falling for over-hyped Event books. Yes, COUNTDOWN TO INFINITE CRISIS sucks. You knew it would. But you bought it anyway. I know it was only a dollar, but that's valuable space in your brain, now wasted on memories of the Blue Beetle looking at computers and talking to people about his feelings. And then having his brains blown out. Ya think HOUSE OF M will be any better?

... how Grant Morrison can crank out such consistently amazing material. For months now he's been dropping the best comcs I've read in years, and they just keep coming. I have a man crush on his big, hard, throbbing Talent.

... Joe Rice's love for DARK KNIGHT STRIKES AGAIN. I re-read it recently, with his high regard for it fully in mind. It was bad the first time around, and it Has Not Aged Well.

... people that aren't reading SEVEN SOLDIERS OF VICTORY because it "plays with continuity". These are the people to blame for shit like COUNTDOWN and REBIRTH. They are Monsters. They live in caves and eat baby bones. They fear the daylight and growl curses at passersby.

These are some things that I do not understand. But I'm probably just stupid.

2 Love Letters:

Blogger Michael said...

I understand (and enjoyed) the original Age of Apocalypse, but I don't understand why anyone thought a sequel would be a good idea. (Creatively, I mean. A child could understand why they thought it would be a good idea in terms of selling a large amount of comics.)

3:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was an original of this? No shit! So what's this new...oh, forget it, who cares, I know it's beyond bad anyway, that's probably why I never paid attention to the original at the time. As for right now, knowing anything is pointless because nothing is shocking, or even interesting. There's a same-making power to all these stupid Events, bit by bit they are pounding down the comics landscape into shitty porridge, and nothing can escape. I almost welcome House of M at this point, because the sooner everything gets maximally cratered with fuckedupness the better, I say. At least then it'll all be done. Right?

Right?

4:49 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home